Saturday, May 4, 2013

118. Drink Up


Social gatherings are an occupational hazard. If you consider the time-consuming extracurricular activity that is Scouts, which does not pay at all an 'occupation', that is. But I digress. 

Anyhow, being the youth representative for my area means obligatory attendance at group banquets. And end-of-year barbecues. And swim-ups, award ceremonies, and group fundraisers. In short, a lot of awkward mingling and entirely too much food.

Imagine the most awkward conversation of your life, multiply it by three hours, and you'll have a pretty good idea of the dinner I sat through today. Except that there was no conversation, me being the only kid at a table with other adults perfectly happy with excluding me from any conversation.

In exemplary awkward-penguin fashion, I spent those three hours mastering the art of carrying on imaginary and silent conversations with inanimate objects. 

Who knew, orange juices are quite the conversationalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment